Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11

10 years ago today, I was watching the Today Show. They broke in with the news that a plane had struck the World Trade Center. My husband is a private pilot so I immediately assumed that it was a small plane. Then as I continued to watch, I actually saw the 2nd airliner banking into the other tower. At that moment I knew it was an act of terrorism. My hubs was in his office on a conference call for work, so I passed him a note about what had happened. As I continued to watch, I could not believe it was all taking place, but the biggest scare for me was the crash into the Pentagon. My brother's last two tours of duty were at the Pentagon and his job after retiring often put him back there. Of course, I had no way of knowing if he was there that day or not and we were not able to reach him at all that day. Fortunately, he wasn't there that day, but his life-long friend was. He was not far from the impact and definitely felt the shock waves --- thankfully he was fine, too. After David's conference call we stayed in front of the TV for the rest of the day and could not fathom what proceeded to happen. It was like watching a disaster movie, but it was real. Who could ever believe that the Twin Towers would virtually implode? It was like they came down in slow motion. To this day, I cannot watch those towers fall without feeling the pain in my heart.

Of course, we prayed for all those affected in church today, but the thing that brought the tears to my eyes was when we were asked to stay long enough to sing the National Anthem after the final hymn. Everyone stayed put and sang at the top of their lungs -- it was a beautiful thing!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Judy... It is still hard for me to talk about the where and the what during those moments, and I never purchased a single magazine or newspaper that had one photo of the destruction... Those images are forever burned into my mind. I am only now learning to start the healing process by scrapbooking about these events.... It may be another year before I can finish a few more.

    Blessings and prayers for you and your family,
    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com

    ReplyDelete

I love new followers and would like to know what you think!